The Throwing Star LAN Tap is a passive Ethernet tap, requiring no power for operation. There are active methods of tapping Ethernet connections (e.g., a mirror port on a switch), but none can beat passive taps for portability. To the target network, the Throwing Star LAN Tap looks just like a section of cable, but the wires in the cable extend to the monitoring ports in addition to connecting one target port to the other.
- Hak5 Build Video: https://youtu.be/3zUsJm3bwGY
- Source: http://greatscottgadgets.com/throwingstar/throwing-star-20110217.tar.gz
- History: http://ossmann.blogspot.com/2011/02/throwing-star-lan-tap.html
- Instructions: https://greatscottgadgets.com/throwingstar/throwing-star-instructions.pdf
- Usage: https://greatscottgadgets.com/throwingstar/
- Hardware design: https://github.com/greatscottgadgets/throwing-star-lan-tap
- Getting help: https://github.com/greatscottgadgets/throwing-star-lan-tap/issues