Packet Squirrel firmware may be updated via USB as described in the updating firmware article. That said, it is also possible to manually upgrade the firmware by following this process:
- Download the latest UPDATE file fromhttps://downloads.hak5.org/squirrel and verify its checksum.
- Power on the Packet Squirrel in Arming Mode
- Manually SCP the file to the Packet Squirrel's /tmp directory (e.g. "scp upgrade-3.1.bin firstname.lastname@example.org:/tmp/)
- SSH into the Packet Squirrel (e.g. "ssh email@example.com")
- From the Packet Squirrel's bash prompt, issue the sysupgrade command relevant to your firmware update file (e.g. "sysupgrade -n /tmp/upgrade-3.1.bin")
- Wait 5-10 minutes as the Packet Squirrel flashes the firmware and reboots. DO NOT unplug the device during the process as doing so will render the device inoperable.