From time to time the Packet Squirrel may be updated with new firmware to add features and security improvements. It is highly recommended that you keep your Packet Squirrel up to date with the latest firmware, available from the Hak5 Download Center.
To install the latest firmware:
- Download the upgrade file. Make sure that the filename is upgrade-version.bin (where version is the firmware version, e.g. 1.2) and check that the SHA-256 sum matches.
- Copy the upgrade file to the root of an NTFS or EXT4 formatted USB flash drive. Do not rename, unpack or otherwise alter this file.
- Plug the USB drive into the powered-off Packet Squirrel
- Flip the Packet Squirrel payload select switch to Arming mode (far right, closest to the USB flash drive)
- Power on the Packet Squirrel from a reliable USB power source. This process takes 5-10 minutes and will be indicated by a series of LED lights. Do not power-off or otherwise interrupt the device until the flashing process completes.
During the firmware flashing process, the LED will indicate the following states:
- Green flashing – booting up
- Red/Blue alternating – beginning firmware flash
- Solid Red or Blue – firmware flash in progress
- Green flashing – rebooting
- Blue flashing – upgrade complete, arming mode ready